This book is called, ‘MISS PEREGRINE’S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN’ written by Ransom Riggs. In fact, this happens to be his first novel. This book is about a teenaged boy named Jacob who has been told many stories about his Grandfather’s childhood. He was lead to believe they were real, but then felt betrayed as he grew older and considered them absolute fibs. However, when Jacob sights peculiar photographs and retrieves old letters, his suspicion wears away and is replaced by an air of eagerness and adventure. It’s not till his grandfather dies and he catches a glimpse of a deadly creature lurking near his grandfather, that the need to find out more becomes unbearable. So, with this in mind, Jacob ventures off to the Island of Cairnholm with his father, after persuading him that many birds are there. (Jacob’s Father likes to look and write about unique and colourful birds.) There, Jacob discovers the crumbling ruins of the Children’s Home. It’s left untidy, as if it’s still inhabited. As Jacob discovers more peculiar people, items and abilities, he realises that he himself is peculiar; like his own Grandfather. That’s when things get more precarious. Safety is scarce and hard to find, while perils lurk around every corner, in every shadow and in the deadly form of spying enemies. As Jacob grows more comfortable and skilled with his unique ability, he becomes the new leader of the Peculiar Children as they battle to live and save Miss Peregrine who seems to have been kidnapped by the evil Dr Golan. Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children set out on a mission to save her. Miss Peregrine is in her bird form, floating in a cage in the sea. They save the bird who they think is Miss Peregrine and bring her back to the ruined house to return to her human form. But…. For some strange and daunting reason, she can’t….
My Feelings and Experiences about This Book:
- Although this is Ransom Riggs’ first novel, it is an amazingly powerful story- both riveting and frightening. I got totally hooked! After learning more about the fatal wights and hollows, I was not only itching to learn more, but I also shivered and jumped at every little sound made. So much so, that for a brief moment, I started to think that my Mum was a Wight! It sent shivers up my spine but she obviously isn’t a Wight. 🙂
- I really like the way this book has a plain, simple road leading us into the story but then a jammed road full of twists, turns and action! What I mean is that at first, Abe’s stories seemed like Fibs and lies, which were made up for pure entertainment. However, when the truth is uncovered after Jacob goes to Cairnholm, the action starts with the Hollows, Wights, Miss Peregrine and Emma.
- The pictures Ransom Rigg’s added to support the text were unique, intriguing and mostly scary! I especially liked the one of a girl in a cemetery who looks down into the water, only to see two reflections reflecting back at her. One that I got really freaked out about was of a scientist near a skull, with a tube in his hand, but with blank, white pupils. These people with unfilled pupils are the wights.
- I loved this book so much that I’m itching to get the next book, Hollow City. My teacher, who recommended this book to me, is going to order the new book so that we can read the book together.
- Last but not least, if you are interested in getting the book, please do ask your Parents or Guardians first since it may be a bit advanced for 10-12 Year olds!
I WOULD RATE THIS BOOK A 10 OUT OF 10 RATING!
FIND OUT WHAT I MEAN BY READING MISS PEREGRINE’S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN!
YOU CAN BUY IT HERE ON AMAZON FOR $7.OO!
YOU CAN BUY IT HERE ON GUARDIAN BOOKSHOP FOR £7.37!